Student Newswire of The University of Arizona School of Journalism

Arizona Sonoran News

Arizona Sonoran News

Arizona Sonoran News

Earth Day 2024 events around Tucson

Tommy Hoos
Mount Lemmon, Tucson, pictured after a heavy rain storm in August 2022.

As Earth Day approaches this upcoming Monday, April 22, many residents around the city are looking for ways to reconnect with nature and raise awareness.

Luckily for those residents, Tucson has plenty of events and activities being hosted around the city.

Most events are free, especially for children, although some require payment.

Here’s a few of those events:

Tucson Earth Day Festival

The Tucson Earth Day Festival is a free event being hosted at the Children’s Museum Tucson on Saturday, April 20. It starts at 9 am and runs until 1 pm. 

There will be exhibitions with art, from local wildlife groups and various other installments and different activities outside of the museum. Adults with children are welcome into the courtyard and inside the museum for free for more learning activities for children. 

The purpose of the event is to educate people on recycling and composting and how it works, creating sustainable gardens, how to enjoy nature in a more sustainable way and how to bring nature into your own backyards. 

Admission is free, but it’s a ‘pay-what-you-wish’ event, meaning donations from the public are encouraged and always welcome.

Click here for more information.

TMC Earth Day 5K

The TMC Earth Day 5K run/walk is an event geared more toward people who are looking to get outside and spend the day exercising in nature. 

It takes place on Saturday, April 20 at Biosphere 2, located at 32540 S. Biosphere Rd. The event starts at 7:15 am and goes until 11 am. 

Admission is $40 for adults and there will even be a children’s 5K, of which admission is $5. Pets are not permitted.

After the 5K, there will be live music, food and drinks from local food trucks, and other fun activities on the Biosphere 2 Great Lawn. Participants will also gain free admission to a guided tour of Biosphere 2, where you’ll get an exclusive look at the inner workings of the research facility.

Admission also comes with a souvenir shirt, a 5K time and video of the finish, snacks and drinks and more. All non-running guests can purchase tickets to Biosphere 2 at a discounted rate of $10 before 8:30 am. 

Funds raised by the TMC Earth Day 5K will be donated to the Ocean Reef research project. Find more details and ways to donate here.

Party for the Planet 2024

On Sunday, April 21, the Reid Park Zoo will be hosting their annual ‘Party for the Planet’ Earth Day event.

The event will start at 9 am and run until 12 pm. All activities are free with paid admission to the zoo and there’s no registration required.

Below is a list of the activities you can find at the event:

• Make a seed ball to plant native seeds at home (while supplies last)
  • Visit the community science table in the Pollinator Garden to spot native wildlife as part of the City Nature Challenge.
  • Enjoy animal presentations throughout the Zoo
  • Learn about conservation actions you can take at home through information stations provided by the Zoo Crew teen volunteers.
  • Purchase a Go Green Kit sold by the Zoo Crew to help reduce your use of plastic at home. Proceeds support the Zoo Crew’s conservation fund which supports wildlife conservation around the world and locally. Available for purchase at the event.
  • Learn from our community partners about additional opportunities to care for and protect the planet.

Those interested can find more information here.

Fee Free Day at Saguaro National Park

National Park Week also begins starting April 20 and ends on April 27.

To celebrate Earth Day and the first day of National Park Week, Saguaro National Park will be waiving all admission fees on April 20.

Residents who are looking to enjoy and explore the natural beauty of Tucson can do so between 6 am until 10 pm.

Mother Earth Paint Night 

Roadhouse Cinemas Tucson is hosting a paint night in celebration of Earth Day on Wednesday, April 24 from 6 pm until 9 pm.

During the 3 hour event, participants will work with an instructor to create a ‘Mother Earth’ painting in celebration of Earth Day. Supplies including canvases, brushes, paint and more will be provided; no experience is necessary.

There will also be happy hour discounts and table service available from during the event until close. Children are always welcome.

Tickets are available for $45 per person.

Those interested are strongly encouraged to arrive 15 minutes early for check-in. 

More information is available here.

If you’re someone who is looking to spend this weekend and next in celebration of Earth Day, be sure to check out these special events!

Arizona Sonoran News is a news service of the University of Arizona School of Journalism.

Donate to Arizona Sonoran News
$50
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of University of Arizona School of Journalism. Your contribution will allow us to cover the annual costs of hosting this free news website.