Student Newswire of The University of Arizona School of Journalism

Arizona Sonoran News

Arizona Sonoran News

Arizona Sonoran News

A women-led organization empowers Tucson’s refugee community

Summer Williams
Afaf Hasan talks to a visitor while selling homemade citrus sweets at the Mission Garden in Tucson, Ariz. on Feb. 9, 2024. Hasan represented ELFA Refugee Empowerment, which collaborated with the Mission Garden to table at its “Tasting History” event.

Around nine years ago, after dozens of Syrian refugee families settled in Tucson, the president of ELFA, Rania Kanawati, started the non-profit with the hope of empowering refugees struggling with depression and homesickness.

ELFA Refugee Empowerment works with women and families within the refugee community in Southern Arizona by building and fostering community. The organization plans to resume classes and events at the beginning of June after stopping in March in recognition of Ramadan.

“We help and support the refugees, especially women and children, through learning,” said Kanawati.

Kanawati said ELFA aids refugees with resources and opportunities to learn to support and empower themselves in their new communities. The volunteer board and cohort include women from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and skill sets.

“I’m originally from Syria,” said Kanawati. “I came here as a student with my husband.”

Afaf Hassan, a volunteer with ELFA is from Palestine, Jordan. 

“I come here with my husband and my family since six years ago,” Hassan said.

Mary Schlimgen has lived in Tucson for about 17 years. She also volunteers with ELFA. 

“I wanted to get very heavily involved in volunteer work once I retired, and I decided this is the avenue I wanted to do because it was in such dire need,” Schlimgen said.

They teach women English classes and baking and help them start their own businesses. They also host art classes, like painting and drawing, for youth. Sometimes, they help men find jobs through connections with local businesses.

Youth in ELFA’s youth program prepare food at the Ronald McDonald House Charity. The youth volunteered to help cook meals. Photo courtesy of ELFA Refugee Empowerment.

Afaf Hassan has volunteered with ELFA for four years, helping at events, distributing resources, and meeting with people. She also tries to bring her kids with her to volunteer.

“You know, if I can help, I will help,” said Hassan. “And this is very important for me also, to teach my kids these values.”

A student writes in an Arabic class in ELFA’s youth program. Photo courtesy of ELFA Refugee Empowerment. 

​​Some volunteers meet people in their homes to assist with various needs, such as translating, appointments, furnishing, and finding jobs. Mary Schlimgen’s preference for small, local businesses and organizations drew her to ELFA, where she often volunteers over 20 hours a week.

“You know, I’m helping the family get comfortable here, get stabilized, do all of that for eventually them, you know, to keep building,” said Schlimgen.

ELFA President Rania Kanawati, Vice President Malda Sariji, and volunteer Nemat Mohammad pose for a photo in front of a table selling ELFA’s handmade products and Syrian sweets. Photo courtesy of ELFA Refugee Empowerment.

ELFA works with refugees from countries like Syria, Afghanistan, Sudan, and Somalia who become part of this new community. Volunteers share resources, aid, and sometimes meals with the families and women so they can work toward supporting themselves, their families and their community.

Donate to Arizona Sonoran News
$50
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of University of Arizona School of Journalism. Your contribution will allow us to cover the annual costs of hosting this free news website.