Student Newswire of The University of Arizona School of Journalism

Arizona Sonoran News

Arizona Sonoran News

Arizona Sonoran News

Graduating from the UA? Here’s what it will cost you

The+annual+GradFest+at+the+University+of+Arizona+gives+upcoming+graduates+the+chance+to+purchase+their+regalia+in+discounted+bundles.+
Erika Howlett
The annual GradFest at the University of Arizona gives upcoming graduates the chance to purchase their regalia in discounted bundles.

Each graduation season the University of Arizona bookstore hosts GradFest, a three-day window for seniors to get the best deals on caps, gowns, stoles and more. This event comes with well-advertised promises of discounts, but can also be stressful for students concerned about costs. 

“I just don’t see the reason why I’ve got to pay for all this,” public health major Jovon Boling said while she stood in line to buy her regalia at GradFest. “Just for me alone, it’s almost $200. I didn’t even get everything I wanted.”

The base cost for a bachelor’s gown is $38.05, the cap is $18.95 and the tassel is $9.95. Stoles from each college are available for about $30 a piece and students with multiple majors may purchase multiple stoles and tassels. 

But then there are diploma frames, souvenir tassels, class rings and much, much more.

GradFest discounts these items by bundling them together, but even then, some students said the discounts weren’t as significant as they’d hoped. 

The cheapest GradFest bundle for bachelor’s degrees comes in at $66.96, including the cap, gown, tassel and a $10 contribution to the class gift. Notably it did not include the commonly worn stoles.

Those opting for the deluxe packages were looking at $221.89 to $306.87, with prices being higher for those receiving a master’s degree.

“I feel like cap and gowns should at least get waived, or something, or the college should provide a waiver for students,” said junior law major Ray Alade, who volunteered at GradFest and feels like the costs students pay aren’t fair. 

Alade also pointed out that the regalia costs can’t be paid through students’ bursar accounts, meaning students have to pay up-front at GradFest. 

Regalia is only one part of the costs for UA graduates. Earlier in the year, students also were required to pay a $50 graduation application fee. Those who didn’t pay it by Feb. 1 faced a late fee.

Associate registrar Amanda Gluski said the fee covers costs related to degree awarding and contributes to the main commencement ceremony. Students facing a financial hardship paying the fee can email the Graduation Services team to request assistance and possibly get the fee waived, Gluski said in a written statement.

“It is not guaranteed and is reviewed on a case-by-case basis,” she said.

According to the university’s commencement web page, regalia is required to graduate, which is prompting some graduates to go cheap. 

“Personally, I know I’m buying the minimum stuff so I can do it,” said Veronica Burnett, who is graduating with a degree in natural resources. “I know people that can’t even afford the minimum stuff and that’s a little disheartening for them because they worked so hard to graduate.”

Arizona Sonoran News is a news service of the University of Arizona School of Journalism.

Donate to Arizona Sonoran News
$50
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of University of Arizona School of Journalism. Your contribution will allow us to cover the annual costs of hosting this free news website.