Student Newswire of The University of Arizona School of Journalism

Arizona Sonoran News

Arizona Sonoran News

Arizona Sonoran News

Wilbur and Wilma say goodbye to their PAC-12 friends

Here’s what the move to the Big 12 might look like for UA mascots
PAC-12 mascots were altogether for one of the the last times at the PAC-12 football championship in Las Vegas in December. – Courtesy of Hadley Turner

Wilbur and Wilma Wildcat are saying goodbye to the PAC-12 Conference this year and hello to the Big 12.

Instead of mingling with Butch the Cougar from Washington State, they will be on the sidelines with new furry and feather friends, including the University of Cincinnati Bearcat.

Our beloved Wilbur and Wilma will hold up well next to the Big 12’s iconic school mascots, from Shasta, the cougar from the University of Houston, and TCU’s Superfrog to another wildcat, Willie from Kansas State.

UA sophomore Xavier Urias and junior Hadley Turner turned in the Wilbur and Wilma uniforms they’ve worn for the past two years.

“It was really awesome to get to represent a really great year for Arizona sports,” said Urias, who said that he was glad his time as Wilbur ended before the switch to the Big 12.

“It’s almost like moving to a new house. All these packed up mascots are going to be in this whole new environment with a new family,” he said.

“Since the Pac-12 has been around for so long, there have been these funny mascot connections,” said Turner. “It’ll just be a matter of new connections and new relationship development.”

A highlight for Wilbur and Wilma Wildcat during last year’s football season was cheering the ‘Cats on at the Alamo Bowl pep rally in December. Courtesy of Hadley Turner

Turner and Urias spent their time as mascots keeping busy with lots of travel, representing the UA all while keeping their mascot identities secret from their friends. Their identities were revealed at the last home basketball game.

“When I was revealed I felt a huge weight lifted off my shoulders because I was living this constant second identity that no one knew about,” said Urias.

Now that Turner and Urias are retired, they can help train and work with the new Wilbur and Wilma as they prepare for a new season in a new conference.

Wilma and Wilbur from the UA join the Big 12’s 16 teams with fellow PAC-12 mascots Sparky the Sun Devil from ASU, Chip the Buffalo from University of Colorado and Swoop the red-tailed hawk from the University of Utah.

Wilbur and Wilma, Sparky the Sundevil and Chip the Buffalo will move from the PAC-12 to the Big 12. Also pictured: Marigold the Bear. – Courtesy of Hadley Turner

Taylor Smith, who was Swoop for three years, said that the move to the Big 12 is bittersweet.

“I will miss the PAC mascots,” said Smith. “The Stanford Tree, Butch, Benny, Duck, Harry,Tommy, Joe, Josie, and Oski,” she said, “but from a personal POV, my Swoop memories will come with me forever.”

One of the students who plays Bruiser and Marigold, the Baylor Bear mascots, said that the Big 12 is a tight-knit group of mascots.

“We’re in constant communication through our group chat, sharing updates and supporting each other,” said the student who, like many other mascots, stays anonymous. “Moving into the Big 12 conference can be difficult at first, but I can proudly say that all of my experiences with other schools have been positive. It’s also a very welcoming environment to be part of!”

Wilbur and Wilma will introduce themselves to the Big 12 when UA football travels to Kansas State to take on the Wildcats and its mascot Willie. These mascots may play nice in the locker rooms, but this Wildcats v. Wildcats game is sure to be a real catfight.

Arizona Sonoran News is a news service of the University of Arizona School of Journalism.

Donate to Arizona Sonoran News
$50
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of University of Arizona School of Journalism. Your contribution will allow us to cover the annual costs of hosting this free news website.