Student Newswire of The University of Arizona School of Journalism

Arizona Sonoran News

Arizona Sonoran News

Arizona Sonoran News

League of Women Voters registering high school seniors ahead of ‘24 presidential election

Refugio Del Cid
The League of Women Voters has reached out to a numerous of Tucson area high schools to encourage 18-year-olds to register to vote.

The League of Women Voters of Greater Tucson are taking the initiative to reach the newly 18-year-olds by attending Tucson and Sahuarita public high schools to encourage them to register to vote in the November presidential election. 

“If you can get students to register and vote at an early age, they become consistent and informed voters, which is exactly what we strive for,” said Linda Maccabe, who chairs the group’s Voter Services.

The League of Women Voters of Greater Tucson, established in 1920, is among 700 local leagues throughout the United States. The group’s initial goal was to empower women to create a more perfect democracy. The group has expanded to reach a more diverse audience including young voters and men, according to its website.

The LWV begins its process by reaching out to high schools and sharing information and ideas with the school principals.

“If we’re unable to reach them, then we will call about two weeks later and if we still can’t get a response, then we will show up in person,” Maccabe said. “We stay persistent because we know this is important for the students and our community.” 

While in the schools, the group works with the teachers to arrange presentations and videos of voting history and include examples of impactful changes voting can bring to spark motivation. Throughout the presentation, students will have the opportunity to ask questions and get registered. 

The league has been active throughout the past year to reach as many high school seniors as possible before May graduation ceremonies. Volunteers have attended local high schools including Tucson High School, Pueblo High School, Santa Rita High School, Walden Grove High School and Empire High School, with many more presentations already scheduled. 

“My goal is to hit as many high schools as we can early spring to get them registered before high school graduation so they can be ready for the primary vote and of course the presidential election on Nov. 5,” Maccabe said.

Santa Rita High School Principal Tamara Ray said she was highly appreciative of the league’s involvement at her school. 

“We are certainly fortunate to be partnering with the League of Women Voters,” she said. “Their nonpartisan and encouraging approach to bringing awareness and understanding to high school students of voting age is critical and shows their commitment to community involvement in local government.”

These opportunities are made possible through the relationships that the league has created with Dustin Williams, the Pima County Schools superintendent, and Dr. Gabriel Trujillo, Tucson Unified School District superintendent. 

“Mr. Williams and Dr. Trujillo have been very supportive of the League of Women Voters, reaching out to high schools and principals to help lead voter registration,” said league President Victor Bowleg. 

According to the Civic’s Center Research Report regarding high school voters, as of Dec. 1, 2023, only 8.5% of 18-year-olds enrolled in the 10 school districts in Tucson have registered to vote. 

“This is one of the many reasons we have such high regard for the League of Women Voters’ presence and purpose on our campus,” Ray said. “We know our students can impact change in Tucson and believe, collectively, voter registration is the catalyst to generating change and empowering our youth.” 

Despite the group’s efforts in the schools, it can still be a bit difficult reaching and encouraging these students, Maccabe said 

“When students ask me, ‘Why should I vote’,” Maccabe said, “because it’s going to affect things like what kind of books are going to be in your library. The school board you vote for decides that.” 

You have to bring these examples to their level, Maccabe said, “You want them to be able to understand that everything about their lives are decided by the people in office who are voted in,” she said. 

In the 2020 presidential election, Arizona proved to be a swing state, shifting from predominantly Republican in 2016 to electing Democrat Joe Biden. 

But in the 2022 midterm elections, there was a 15.7% drop in voter turnout in Tucson, according to the Making Arizona Possible. 

“It’s important to empower our youth and help them find and use their voice,” Bowleg said. “Youth who get engaged stay engaged. Whatever we can do to help the students register to vote, we’re going to do it.”

Arizona Sonoran News is a news service of the University of Arizona School of Journalism.